Struggling to keep up with the demand generated from a booming housing industry, the client approached BP Automation with the hope of generating a solution to increase its productivity. The client had become frustrated with the lack of options available and feared that a viable solution may not exist.
The client was faced with a number of challenges:
- Rising labour costs, including wages, training and retention
- Significant rework and repairs required due to manual cutting process
- Low productivity throughout the manual fabrication process
THE BP AUTOMATION SOLUTION
BP Automation broke the process up into three areas: set-up, cutting, and gluing and clamping. This allowed for the process to be streamlined and for a number of innovations to be added:
- Custom set-up table to accommodate wide counters
- Custom 8-axis cutting and v-grooving saw
- Automated gluing and clamping system for final countertop fabrication
- Reduction in cutting time from 210 minutes to 1.5 minutes
- Increased output using existing labour
- Reduction in training time required for new employees
Overall, the client was able to expand its market and propagate this custom fabrication system across the country.